Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Vacations

Ok I have a question for everyone. Its about vacations. For the last few years I have not gotten a vacation, well thats not totally true, I have used the few days off that I have had to take time off around Christmas and then sporadically throughout the year to make a 3-day weekend here and there. In addition to that, since I always seem to be switching jobs every three years or so (no stability in the tech support field or else I just have a bad case of wanderlust) I never seem to accrue any significant amounts of vacation time. Unlike my wife who worked at Mirage Resorts for 13 years and had 4 weeks of vacation and now is a teacher and has summers off.

The long and the short of it is the fact that my wife has always had the time to take vacations with her parents and still take time off when I do. Meanwhile I am always stuck working and calling her while she is off in Disneyland or Reno or Greshim Oregon or wherever. I was just wondering how many people actually get a lot of vacation time and how many are stuck with a week or maybe two if they are lucky (like me)? Does life just suck or am I not negotiating vacation plans very well.

6 Comments:

Blogger LoraLoo said...

We've got a similar situation in our household... working for government for the last 15 years I have lots of vacation time, whereas Karl doesn't; he has changed jobs a few times too. In fact, I'm on vacation this week, and he isn't. We have had one vacation together in our almost five years of marriage.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

I don't think Vavoom is going to have much vacation time with the new job. But, I am very lucky to get 5 weeks a year. Do I really go on vacation? No. Most of the time I use a day or two here for football, a three-day weekend and sometimes just cash out the hours to get a nice little check in my hands. If only I could just take every Sunday off.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

We get four hours a month. The same with sick. On top of that we get two personal holiday's starting every fiscal year. I have about 52 sick and 40 vacation.

The longer you're here, the more you acrue. It's not too bad. It could always be better.

Like you, I'd rather save my time for some three day weekends. It seems ast though, taking five day's and turning it into nine (combined days off) goes by just as fast.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

Oh yeah, my mom works at an elementary school as and EA. She's never there. It's year around and they are ALWAYS off! ALWAYS!

11:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lora -- Yeah hopefully I can survive the fact that teri now gets summers off.

an80snut -- 5 weeks and here I thought teri's 4 weeks was a lot. I am jealous.

Jenn -- Yeah thats what I did at my las job, lots of short mini-vacations, I was using the days as I accrued them.

Vavoom -- Currently I have the best vacation package out of any of the 3 jobs that I have worked in the last 10 years. I accrue 3+ hours of vacation and 2+ hours of sick every paycheck (biweekly). My problems is that I have switched jobs frequently (on average every 3-4 years and so have not been able to progress to the next level (I have always had just two weeks of vacation a year)

9:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Man I just noticed my keyboard is starting to act up... my second one I have worn out...

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home