Saturday, July 16, 2005

Mad Potter

Yawn. Imagine a scene of turmoil, hundreds of people crowd a parking lot frantically searching for a spot and hurrying into the shop. Inside gaggles of young teens crowd the aisles, ignoring the merchandise, looking for a place to sit down. Young children rush from booth to booth, laughing and giggling at the sight of crazily dressed adults and face-painted children. At a cafe, harried looking adults stare glumly around looking for an open table or at least a chair to pilfer. Coffee is gulped spasmodically, vacant expressions on the patron's faces, most stifling yawns as they surrepetiously glance at their neighbors.

Yawn. Sound like the opening of ticket sales for a new concert? Or maybe the advent of a Las Vegas theme park? Try again. Maybe I am just writing the opening for my best seller novel. Closer. This was the atmosphere last night as Teri, Josh, Sabrina (my neice), and I went to the midnight bookstore party for the debut of the new Harry Potter book- Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince . The Barnes and Noble bookstore on N Rainbow was loaded with geeked out adults and children eagerly awaiting the next installment of their fictional hero.

Yawn. Why did I go you ask? Realistically I have no idea, I resisted my wife's attempts to get me to go since this was also the debut night for the Sci-Fi Channel's Sci-Fi Friday featuring my favorite show Stargate SG1. However, knowing that my wife loathes my anti-social tendencies, and knowing that I might actually see someone I knew at the debut, and also, because you never really have to twist my arm to go to a bookstore, I only put up a token resistance and quickly gave in to Teri's eager anticipation of the literary event.

Yawn. And just in case you want to know, we bought 4 copies of the book; one for my neice, one for my sister's family, one for Josh, and one for Teri and I to share. Yes share. One of the most fun things that Teri and I have about reading the Harry Potter books is pilfering the lone copy of the book we have from each other, trying to get through the book before the other one can, and also trying to keep up with our son's frantic dash through the pages of Potterville. So far Josh is way ahead, staying up to 4 or 5 in the morning to read, getting through maybe a third of the book. I snuck in about 40 pages this morning when Teri and her mom went grocery shopping and Teri has barely started, only managing to glance at the last page in the book and to read the first 4 or 5 pages...

7 Comments:

Blogger RT said...

Or maybe you let Teri talk you into it to make up for that last post? :o)

5:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

RT -- Laugh, Teri is so used to my foibles she probably didn't even bat an eye at my last post.

page update:

Josh has finished the book.
I am on page 330.
Teri is zipping along as we speak and is through at least the first 100 pages.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

For your information I did not glance at the last page, I only looked ahead to find out which character she kills off.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Page update:

Josh finished the book - Saturday afternoon.

I finished the book - Sunday evening.

Teri is on page 300.

You should read the series Vavoom it is pretty good, real good if you like the genre.

9:30 PM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

I was wondering if you guys were going to make it out for the midnight debut. I just can't get into midnight shopping. I received my copy in the mail, Saturday morning. :) Still haven't started it yet, it's sitting on my counter talking to me...

7:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Loraloo -- Isit saying, "Read me before someone ruins the book for me."?

3:46 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

My copy came in the mail on Saturday. Like normal, it will sit on the shelf with my other books: Da Vinci Code, Drudge Manifesto, Migrations & Cultures, Anthem and World Religions.

Btw, that's so wrong that Teri looked at the last pages of the book hunting for who died. Cheater! Cheater!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home