Saturday, July 02, 2005

Driving me crazy

Well I am back from the California adventure and I am sure glad to be back. Now don't get me wrong, vacations can be loads of fun, but I have decided this is the last one I do with skads of people. We went vacationing with just about everyone in my wife's family: the in-laws, brothernad sister-in-law, great uncles and aunts, neices, nephews, lions and tigers and bears, oh my. I don't think we had even left when the fighting and whining started. My wife and I and son had a peaceful trip to California, she drove, which brings up an interesting point for the married couples and what not in the audience, who drives out of you and the significant other on long road trips? It used to be that I would drive everywhere and the wife would play navigator, now I find myself more and more getting my wife to drive the long hours while I kick back and play passenger. I am not even sure when this switch took place, or why. I think it started out when we split the driving chores on a long vacation. Oh well, back to the griping on vacation. Let me fill you in on the original plan, we were all going to Disneyland for a two day vacation, with a small side trip to Knotts Berry Farm so my wife could indulge one of her childhood memories at the Chicken Dinner Restaurant at Knotts. Everything had been hashed out beforehand with the trip's minuteia planned out. The only thing in dispute was the leaving date, I wanted to leave Thursday afternoon and the wife was hoping for Thursday evening. I had to work early Friday so I didn't want to stay too late. Needless to say, we had a leisurely drive there and arrived early and did a little shopping at Downtown Disney (I gave in on this, but actually enjoyed it -- shhhhhh don't tell Teri). Sounds like the makings of a good trip? It was until other people got involved. We met up with the Great Uncle and Aunts at Redondo Beach and had a lousy dinner at Cheesecake Factory, and then walked the Pier and let my son have fun at the arcade. The drama started when we got back to the hotel and hooked up with Teri's brother and family. I understand now why my wife had issues with her older brother while growing up, talk about a control freak! Its not like I haven't dealt with the brother before, but just when I start to relax with him, he pulls a stunt like he did on vacation. Heaven forbid if anyone wants to modify "his plans". Between that and the mother-in-laws constant complaining and whining, I was more than happy to just hang out with my son at the Disney arcades.

1 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

I am not a good passenger on long trips (unless I have lots of reading material and music) and tend to be the driver. Interesting to see the change there for ya. I can definitely understand the weirdness of being there for entertainment yet have someone trying to structure it the whole time. At least it sounds like you escaped some. I just wonder what was the game of choice for both of you?

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home