Friday, April 29, 2005

The Sentinel Tree -- an impromptu poem

I sit alone underneath a single small lonely sentinel tree,
A silent vision of you sweeping through my mind, as it slowly wanders free.
I watch the stars creep across the ever-darkening velvet night sky.
Reliving passionate images of my eternal love as each quickly stumble by.

I remember the long countless walks we cheerfully took together,
I think of the times strolling hand in hand, never mind the weather,
Joined at the hip, two become one, forever bound to each other,
My soul mate and I, my best friend and wife, my everlasting lover.

Time has relentlessly marched on, slowly leaving us in its wake,
The two of us huddled fearfully, sharing our triumphs and our mistakes.
Love is the single memory that ultimately survives our eventual death,
A joyous life that two share until expiring they gasp out their last breath.

The sentinel tree grows cautiously bigger, a mighty forest it does portend,
It withstands nature's cruel uncertainty, like our love lasting until the final end.

1 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

Impressive. When was the last time I read a poem by you? 1987 or 88? As for your "everlasting lover", you go Teri!! B)

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home