Monday, July 25, 2005

Cricket invasion

Ok what is with all the crickets that have decided to move into our house. Don't they know we already have company and don't want anymore. Why are the majority of them hopping there way into our bedroom and keeping Teri awake with their cricket mating songs. Don't they know that Teri doesn't like bugs and I have become the designated bug killer even though I am a pacifist and refuse to kill them (releasing them in the flushing porcelain jacuzzi doesn't count, they are just going for a swim) I know Teri is a Beatles fan, but I am also sure she is not a crickets fan. It is actually getting so bad that I went onto the net and looked up ways to keep them out of the house (even if it is good luck to have one in your home, 25 is way too many). I never knew that crickets chow down on clothing and other plant materials. I did find a relatively humane jar trap to get rid of them (molasses dissolved in water in a jar), but I am open for suggestions. I figure that they are following the dogs into the garage and just continuing their way into the house. I need to get rid of these interlopers now.

8 Comments:

Blogger RT said...

I can't give you any advice on how to get rid of them, but I can say that if you decide to release them back into the wild (off your back porch, for instance,) be careful! I tried that the other day and the little SOB jumped back on me before I could get in the door...

I didn't have the heart to kick him out again, so he's now my roommate, and feasting happily on my clothes.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

I picked up a few interesting little devices by Black & Decker that send out ultra-high frequency sounds that freak out the insects and send them away. I bought two but am now thinking that I need one for every room just to be sure. They need a wall plug and look like nightlights. I guess they don't affect the hearing of your smaller pets but I don't plan on testing that.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Btw... I was sure that Teri liked Buddy Holly.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

RT -- I release them into the wild alright, but its through my plumbing, flushing them.

an80snut -- Buddy Holly is ok, the crickets are the problem. Where did you get the sonic devices?

4:59 PM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

Haha! This post was way cute!

I haven't any advice either. Just be thankful they aren't roaches (SHUDDER! Literally, too).

12:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jenn -- we do get an occasional roach, but we are averaging 2-3 crickets a day.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

I know that K-Mart had some in their bug spray/kitchen cleaning spray aisle so it should be at most stores.

4:31 PM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

I hate those damn crickets. I am thankful I've not seen any in the house yet... no advice here, I am in no way humane when it comes to bugs. All bugs give me the willies.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home