Sunday, August 07, 2005

Multicomm

I don't know if I ever mentioned this in any of my prior blogs, so I thought I would do a whole post about it, kind of trace my internet roots so to speak. Many, many years ago, when the internet craze was still in its infancy, way back in the late 80s, I got introduced to the world of personal computers and bulletin boards through a local BBS (bulletin board service) that the local Apple Computer store ran for people who bought computers there. This was when an average computer sold for serveral thousand dollars, about a third of the price of a car. I logged on, created a handle, chatted with a couple of people, and that was it. It wasn't until a couple of years later that I had my second encounter with online services. This time it was during the summer and my younger brother had conned my father into buying him A brand new Mac to use at college (since he was going to be a computer engineer). My brother had discovered the wickedness of Compuserve and online game playing. I watched him play a couple of times, created my own handle, posted a couple of messages, and that was it...until the following summer. My brother came home for summer break after his freshman year and started logging on to online services again. After wasting big money on Compuserve games, he discovered a local BBS that was free, well alright there was a minimal charge, MultiComm. Once again I watched him while away his time, chatting with other computer geeks, but this time I was hooked. I created my own online identity -The Grey One- which soon morphed into -Davyd Grey- after a somewhat nasty flamming match with Grey Wolf as the BBS system only recognized the first 3 initials of handles and could not distinguish between the two of us. I was soon downloading a term program on the family Apple 2+ and began chatting away my summer. Pretty soon I had growing circle of cyber friends across the Las Vegas valley and we were making plans for a grand meeting where everyone could get to know everyone else face to face. Finally the first meeting happened at Shakeys pizza, which led to another get together the following week, followed by another and another, which quickly became a weekly must attend event attracting 40-50 people every Saturday night. We quickly outgrew the pizza parlour and started meeting at a local park with touch football games preceding the gathering. Needless to say this went on for several years, with new people showing up, and old people leaving. Finally after a decade of this, in the midst of a blossoming internet craze, MultiComm closed its doors. That was in the late 90s, and although I have managed to keep in touch with several of my MC friends, we all drifted away in seperate directions; that is until just recently. Last year I ran into an internet site called BBSmates, which is a database of all the old BBS's across the country and membership lists for each. In addition, it also had a forum for posting with messages from several of the old MC goons. Mass conversation quickly ensued and as of two weeks ago, Dragon - MultiComm's old sysop was finally persuaded to reopen the BBS as an internet site found here. Go visit it and tell me what you think. Relive the glory days of old style BBSs and see what us computer crazy geeks had to deal with using our 300 baud connections.

6 Comments:

Blogger LoraLoo said...

I was never a part of the BBS days.. I didn't start my love affair with the Internet until 1994, AOL version 2.0. I had tried Compuserve and something else... but AOL was the most user friendly at the time, and had the easiest way to find other Vegans like myself to talk to. I did check out the link, pretty cool.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are too old your memory is going!

I never played on compuserve, the games I played were game links off of Multicomm. You never had the Apple 2+ connected for chatting, it didnt have a modem. You used MY macintosh, we had to share by rotating hours on it. Heck we ran that computer so long we had to ice it down from overheating.

8:34 AM  
Blogger RT said...

LMAO! Bubba just called you out. :o)

I don't remember the BBS or MultiComm. but I was in Vegas and had a computer during that time...
Wonder how I missed it.

Anyway, now I know the great mystery of where you got your nic!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Brother -- enough said on this. I have the modem, we semi agreen during the marathon call that it was either 87 or 86 and Compuserve games we will disagree on.

RT -- Yep thats how it came about (actually it has an existance from 15 years earlier)

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I figure that for me it had to be late 1986 to 87 that I also joined MC. I had just picked up my Atari 520ST and made sure it had a modem (I was used to it when I was checking out BBS' with my old Trash-80 CoCo2 (TRS-80 Color Computer 2.) Shakey's used to work out really well as a place to meet for me because I lived about a block away and could walk there. Lloyd and I figure that I was about 16 when I popped on there. I was dependant on other people to go to the park for at least a year or more until I got my first car. I don't think I could forget the park meetings. Vonn, Sloan, KD, Naps, Wolf... I'll keep the women out of it but Kitty had the biggest chest I've seen on a 15 year-old. Then again, I got attacked at the park one night by the brother of her boyfriend because she wanted to show them to me.

Larry and Lloyd... you have to face it that it's amazing that you've kept in touch with as many people from there after this long as you have.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yup! I was also a member of Multicomm. What a fun time we had at Bob Baskin Park, eh? As soon as the internet started getting popular, we all left MC and ventured out into the World Wide Web. Maybe 10 or 15 years ago, there was a reboot of Multicomm. A few familiar peeps were on there! I think it died rather quickly. One saturday night, i will go to Bob Baskin Park and see if anyone shows up. That would be a hoot!

3:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home