Tuesday, February 07, 2006

In salad lines of fire...

I got home from work today, changed out of my work clothes and into my comfy lay around the house clothes. Looked in to the fridge and decided to be good and have a salad for dinner since Teri had gone through all the trouble of making it yesterday. Which of course got me to thinking about salads and the fact that nobody seems to do homemade salads anymore. I mean when was the last time you bought a head of lettuce and at least 3 or 4 other ingredients to put into a salad? Teri and I always compromise on the salad, I love tomatoes and mushrooms, she doesn't so they stay on the side and I just add to the base salad. Our base salad transmorgifies periodically depending on our mood, but usually includes one of those prepackaged salad bags (yeah I know I was talking some good smack about homemade, but with only the two of us eating getting all the greens are a waste, especially since Teri loves fresh spinach and I really don't), green onions, and radishes, with the occasional carrot or cucumber thrown in. We try to keep sunflower seeds and grated cheese around since Teri and I both love them on salads and Teri also likes crutons which I am not fond of. We have also settled on Ranch dressing even though both Teri and I prefer getting honey-mustard when we go out and get a salad with dinner. Maybe its because the only thing we ever seem to have in the house that hasn't gone bad is Ranch, I don't know. Does anyone else make salads and not just buy the bag, and if so what do you put in it?

7 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

You can't forget the avacados...

6:19 PM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

MMMMmmmmmmmmmmm. I love salads but usually buy the bags of Romaine. Then I add yellow and red bell peppers, purple onion, cherry tomatoes, spinach, some type of beans, sometimes bean sprouts, sometimes cheese...whatever sounds good. Yum, I'm going to go have a salad!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

Amy makes killer salads. She'll put apples, avocado, deli meats and a whole mix of textures into her salads and they are really yummy.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

The only salad that I enjoy are chicken or plain Caesar. I don't like the bag salads unless I have to. I had a friend at work that won a very large settlement after he got food poisoning from one after his wife found half of a (---not inserted to spare you and your stomach---) in it. It's a good thing they don't make really good bag Caesar dressing... it keeps me sane.

2:19 AM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

Aww Martin you just totally scarred me.

We usually buy the bag salads and I add extra veggies to it. It varies depending on what we are/aren't having with it. I like tomatoes, Karl doesn't, so they go on the side. We don't like the same dressing either.

9:49 PM  
Blogger New White Keds said...

Well, I like to iconsider myself a salad afficianado, of sorts. But Ken had it right. A good salad is based on a good mix of flavors and, more importantly, textures. I never make the same salad twice, but things I like to use include pepperoncini's, corn, tomatoes, olives, turkey bacon, apples, avacado, cucumber, chopped red onion, feta crumbles, chunked or shredded cheese -- ah the list goes on and on. Also, I like to use the Kraft Balsamic Vinagerette as the dressing. It goes well with most everything. Basically, my ingredient list varies based on if the salad is an "appetizer" or the main course. Yummy, I am feeling a salad coming on!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

Mmmm.... Salad! I love all kinds of salads. I make my own and buy the bags. But, I never remember the name of the one I buy in the bag until I get to the store.

And they say I can't cook! I'll make the best salad ever, damnit!

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home