Monday, January 02, 2006

Over the hill...

Well my vacation is over, I have to go back to work tomorrow after 11 glorious days off. It really feels like I am a kid again, a student who just had Christmas break and now has to go back to school. Its kind of weird that sometimes I feel like such a child, going through the motions, playing at being an adult. It has really started to hit me that I am going to be 40 this month. I feel old, even if I really am just a kid disguised as an adult on the inside. I wonder if everyone feels this way, like they are just playing lets pretend, you know make believe or dress up. Do you ever feel like you belong in the world or have you just tried to fake it the best you can? I wonder if every generation goes through this or are there just a few people in the world who "get it" and they are the ones running things. Maybe its just me and I have a 'Peter Pan' complex and am stuck in my own version of Neverland. It would explain a lot, giving reason to all the silliness in the world. Maybe it would also make things easier in real life if we all just looked at each other as overgrown teenagers...

11 Comments:

Blogger RT said...

Is that kinda like, 'The more ya know, the more ya realize ya don't know anything'?

I think a lot of adults feel that way, they're just not secure enough with themselves to admit it ;o)

9:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

I wouldn't even know how to act if I got 11 days off. I'd probably spazz out and end up in some foreign third world country.

Oh yeah, and I'm never growing up. I'm sure you've noticed though.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

RT -- good to hear that RT, glad I am not the only one.

Jenn -- I noticed that parts of you are grown up.

6:10 PM  
Blogger LoraLoo said...

40 is nothing. It's all about how you feel. I know, I know... what a cliche - but it's true, isn't it?

8:01 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Refuse to grow up and it makes it harder to believe other people when they say you are old. Denial is a beautiful thing.

2:03 AM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

40 is NOT old! I have alot of friends in their 40's and it seems like I have more fun with them than I do with my friends my age alot of the time.

No, really Lloyd, I'm not growing up. I think you read the wrong blog.

3:12 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

hmm play dress up? Peter Pan? hmm should I be worried? Or is this just another fantasy of yours? hahahaha

7:27 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

Can I be Tinkerbell?

8:01 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

OK. I'm not going to comment on the whole Peter Pan and Tinkerbell thing going on there. I think it is quite normal to not feel like a grown up. After all, we aren't our parents yet and that's what we see as grown ups. 40 isn't old, but we remember our folks at 40 so it must mean we are becoming our parents. However, I don't know about you, but if I ever start acting like my parents I want someone to tell me so I can stop it!

9:53 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Well, I'd say that you sound a bit down for coming off of 11 days off. You're only as old as you fell, and somehow you've convinced yourself that the kid inside is out of place.

He's not. He's you. Celebrate him!

-- david

10:23 AM  
Blogger New White Keds said...

Fact of the matter is, I think most of us feel liek we are faking it and going through motions praying that no one figures it all out. I'd say the only time to really feel old is when you forget about that kid or teenager still very much alive inside of you. I stress about the aging thing too, but the fact that I cannot believe that my friends have kids that are teenagers, beacuse I am not old enough for that, helps. I refuse to belive I will ever be that old... Say it with me, "I wanna be a toy-r-us kid!"

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home