Tuesday, March 21, 2006

4 score and 9 years ago...

Is it ever too late to change who we are? What age is it that we get so set in our ways that we don't want to do what we did when we were in our 20s or teen years ever again. Why do people think that just because we last did something umpteen million years ago we can't decide that it is time to try it again several years later? I haven't ridden a bike since I was a teenager, does that mean if I buy a bike and want to go riding I will look stupid or will fall off the bike since I have forgotten how to ride? Should I give up bike riding since I haven't done it in over 16 years? Maybe I can get on that bike and do a better job of riding than I did when I was a teenager since I don't have the distractions that I did then and I have the maturity now to know my limitations and abilities. Ok yeah the energy has decreased some, and I don't move as fast as I did 20 years ago, but so what? I can still get there. Maybe I am thinking more now about the legacy I will leave to my kids and want them to be aware that its ok to challenge yourself at any time. Age does not matter, you are only as old as you think you are.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bar L. said...

I agree! It reminds me of another saying "Age is a matter of mind, if you don't mind it doesn't matter". Does that even make sense?

Go ride a bike, Davy!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Oooh, does that mean that instead of Teri going for walks that you'll be going for bike rides with her?

2:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Barbara - Thanks.

Martin - It was an extended metaphor Mart, although I do need to buy a bike and start riding again.

4:43 PM  
Blogger New White Keds said...

Metaphore understood and agreed upon whole heartedly! Ken and I talk of bikes, a lot. Maybe with neighbors worthy of a quick bike ride, we will actually do it. Can you register for a bike in a wedding registry?

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home