Monday, March 21, 2005

2 4 8 16 32

Its not often that a new series by an author makes an indelible impression on me. Its even rarer for me to read a new series twice in a short span of time. Well my number 4) book(s) by Eric Flint did just that. One of my favorite subgenres in science fiction is the classic time travel series. I guess when you have a history major along with a technological/science background, time travel to bygone eras is just a natural. I have read every time travel book that I can get my hands on, everything from HG Wells' classic The Time Machine to Mark Twain's incomparable A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. I actually consider myself a jaded connoisseur of time flicks and as such a novel approach to time travel is a welcome refreshment. Flint's 1632, my number 4) book is one such treat. Based on the premise of a modern day West Virginia town and the surrounding countryside being transported back to Germany, with all the modern accutrements, in the year 1632 and being thrown in the midst of the 30 Years War makes for a spectacular read. Add in some intriguing historical characters and you have all the ingredients for an awesome book!

5 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

Do notice that he has read the series twice (2), it is his #4 book (4), posted this at 8pm (8) and is titled 1632 (16) (32). Which we all know he is mentioning to mess up my mathematically-deficient mind. It worked.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmmm, I think thats the first time I have ever heard you call yourself deficient Martin.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

OK I saw a different pattern, the numbers double each time. I like your explanation better.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

I try to find the other patterns. Multiples of 2 was something people would expect me to catch. But, I'm onto their schemes. B)

9:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah like two Ds, two Cs, or other pairs...

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home