Thursday, May 12, 2005

...I've 'ad worse. Its merely a flesh wound.

Well just when I think my life has blissfully sunk into a nice dull stupor, I get thrown a wonderful curveball that pops me back out of my stupor. Today's curveball happened after a couple of hours at work when my wife called me up and told me that my 15 year old son was in the nurse's office at school and his ankle wasn't broken. Now at 8:30 in the morning on a normal day at work, I have had a couple of hours to slowly wake up and gather my senses, but I guess I was just a bit slow today because all I could think of to say was "Okay, I guess I can go pick him up." My wife then continued on that she didn't think she could get a sub on such short notice, but if I needed her to she could get someone to watch her class in the morning and get back there by the afternoon. It was at this time that I mouthed my next brilliant statement, "Uhhhh, what happened?" Teri then proceded to tell me how Josh was in PE and hurt his ankle and the nurse didn't think it was broken. Well after hanging up with her, talking to my boss briefly about kids in school getting hurt, and calling Teri back to get her to call the school nurse back to let them know I would be there in about 30 minutes I guess the adrenaline surge started to kick in. I made it to the school in a half an hour and after wandering around trying to find the nurse's office (which was nowhere near the regular office) I stumbled across my son laying on a couch with an ice pack pressed against his lower leg. Well in my unexpert opinion the nurse was right and it wasn't broken and actually wasn't too badly swollen. I managed to get my son to stand up and after having him hop a short distance across the school, in which he managed to fall trying to hop up a step, and before I lost my temper because he didn't want to lean against me and try to slowly walk, the school volunteered the use of a golf cart to get him outside of the school. While my son enjoyed his chauffered trip across campus, I ran ahead and double parked the car in the bus loading zone. We got my son into the car and on the drive home I started to feel better because Josh started asking if we could stop for lunch at McDonalds. Well we made it home and I finally got to see the massive footprint that he had stretching across his lower calf to his shin. Turns out soccer isn't quite the non-contact sport that it claims to be as Josh had the soccer super stud in his PE class who thought that slide tackling everyone was the way to impress the girls. We got Josh laid out on the couch with an ice bag clasped firmly in place when I started to play doctor on his leg and see if there was any really sore spots. Needless to say, other than the tender footprint area, Josh was just fine except for the fact that he couldn't put any weight on his leg. Well to make a long story short, two aspirin and a long boring conversation with his concerned father later, my son was actively hopping and hobbling around the house asking to watch television or get on his computer. Thank goodness they don't wear cleats in PE.

3 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

Damn. There is an amazing amount of adrenaline that kicks in for me when someone I care about gets hurt. Usually too much. You did a great job and offered the right amount of help to him. Josh isn't going to be caught leaning on his father at school... he probably would have opted for an amputation in the assembly room. (It might look like a half-hug kinda thing too.) Handled it great and yes, you are going to have to find out how they are allowing slide tackling at a school that doesn't have parental waivers signed for students playing soccer. I always get bad images from cleats and ice skating blades.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well the ankle is swelling up a little now, but two Ibuprofen and a little ice seems to do it. Guess I am gonna have to let him stay home from school tomorrow though.

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah It was mroe he was goofing around slid around though after he slid into me he was kinda pissed. My friend with PE in 4th said he was quite mad I also missed the hostage situation at Becker everyone got to go into lockdown and got kicked out at 2

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home